Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's the big day!

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is on tonight! I always kick off the holiday baking season while watching Rudolph. I almost know it by heart. I know when to step away from the chocolate because I'll have to shed a tear or two. Copyright laws prevent me from posting a photo of Rudolph and Burl Ives' Snowman, but just the sight of them cheers me up and puts me in a Christmas-y mood.

This will be the first gluten free Christmas Rudolph and I will share. So my recipes will change, but not my spirit! I might stir up some homemade hot chocolate mix to warm the hearts (and bodies!) of friends and family. I might roll some truffles into perfect round delights. I might bake some vanilla cookies to use for the crust of my Christmas Key Lime Pie.

Rudolph reminds me that even my oddities can have value. He lets me treasure my role in my little universe (which is looking a bit like the North Pole since we've had a little snow!) He reminds me to love unconditionally. And he lets me sing along, even though I can't carry a tune.

Rudolph with your nose so bright, won't you light my kitchen counter tonight? He never lets me down! Let the festivities begin!

I started my gluten free journey last January 1. I'm glad I've got 11 months of adjusting behind me. I've come a long way. My brain has found detours around wheat-laden roadblocks. My heart has found joy in improved health. And . . .

All my hair has grown back! No bald spots to hide with ingenious comb-overs! Every Christmas for the last five years, my mother has said, "Don't worry, dear. I'm sure your hair will grow back by next Christmas." At long last, next Christmas has arrived!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

oh thanks for telling me! I HAVE TO WATCH THIS TONIGHT!! seriously!! i always watched this as a kid!! It is indeed the holiday season!! ;-)

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

What an awesome post! I know you will have an amazing 1st gluten free Christmas! I can't wait to see what delicious holiday recipes you whip up :) Enjoy watching Rudolph! PS - I'd like to volunteer to taste test those truffles!

Rachel said...

I'm a Grinch lover myself, but my hubby is partial to this herky-jerky animated Rudolph show, so we may end up sneaking a peek.

Congratulations on your first hirsute gluten-free Christmas!

I have a gluten-free Rudolph's Nose cookie recipe somewhere on the old Crispy Cook which I will have to dig out to get a start on my holiday baking. (crushed up cookies mixed with maraschino cherries, cocoa and nuts and rolled in gobs of red sugar). No baking!

Gluten free Kay said...

Hi Carrie, Maureen and Rachel!

I hope you're all in a Christmas baking mood now!

Maureen - I don't even get to taste-test those truffles. I helped out at a friend's chocolate shop last Christmas, before going gf. I learned how to make FABULOUS truffles. I gave lots as gifts. Now everyone wants more! So I'll make some for giving. The chocolatier used Guittard brand chocolate. It is gluten free! But my favorite centers use some flavorings and ingredients that are off-limits for me now. That's okay. I still feel festive when I'm dipping things in chocolate.